Chromatography Purification After Fermentation
With over 20 years of experience in microbial fermentation, BOC Sciences is capable of supporting our customers in developing and producing biochemicals of comprehensive types. Generally, chromatographic techniques are served to isolate and purify relatively low concentrated metabolic products. Chromatography purification is a fundamental method that has been widely used in developing the downstream process of fermentation. With in-depth knowledge of chromatography purification technologies, scientists from BOC Sciences are dedicated to large-scale fermentation productions to fulfill the unmet needs for biochemical industrialization.
Introduction of Chromatography Purification
Chromatography is an analytical technique that separates mixtures based on different compositions, shapes, sizes, and structures. Chromatographic purification is a commonly used method for processing fermentation broth. After initial treatment of the fermentation broth, it can be separated and purified into various components using the chromatography technique. Biological products of fermentation, including modified peptides, oligonucleotides, industrial enzymes, proteins, polysaccharides and others, can be efficiently purified using the chromatographic method.
Generally, the fermentation broth mixture is dispersed on the mobile phase and then loaded into the stationary phase system. Moreover, the affinity of different components toward the stationary phases decides the elution orders. Eluates can be monitored continuously to recover target compounds by UV absorption at 280 nm for protein elution.
Methods of Chromatography Purification
- Ion chromatography (IC): It involves the separation of molecules based on surface charges. Ion exchangers are of two types:cation-exchangers with negatively charged groups, e.g., sulfonate, and anion-exchangers with positively charged groups, e.g., diethylaminoethyl (DEAE). Ion chromatography is suitable for almost all charged molecules, including proteins, oligonucleotides, and amino acids.
- Affinity Chromatography: It is a widely used method for protein separation involving the interaction of proteins with immobilized ligands. In this case, the ligand can be a specific antibody, substrate, substrate analog, or inhibitor that is combined with target compounds reversibly by specific binding action.
- Size-exclusion chromatography (SEC): It separates molecules according to size, shape, and molecular weight. Gel beads with pores serve as molecular sieves for separation, and small molecules are trapped in the pores, while larger molecules that cannot enter pores come out first along with the mobile liquid.
Applications of Chromatography Purification
Fermentation is used in many fields, including the pharmaceutical industry, food and beverage industry, and the chemical industry. The separation and purification of target molecules are essential in exploring microbial metabolic pathways and developing novel natural products. Chromatography purification plays a crucial role in the downstream processing of fermentation.
Each fermentation product has different downstream processing requirements, and it is particularly important to choose the optimal chromatographic purification method based on the nature of the target molecules. Typically, affinity chromatography is used for the separation of recombinant proteins and antibodies; Ion chromatography is used for the separation of non-antibody proteins and oligonucleotides; Reversed-phase chromatography for the separation of polysaccharides and complex glycan structures.
What Can We Do?
With years of experience in downstream processing of fermentation, BOC Sciences is capable of providing a full range of chromatography purification services for cellular metabolites. BOC Sciences continues to develop chromatographic techniques and provide customized chromatography purification services to reveal the content of fermentation broth at the most competitive prices.
- Strain Development Service
- Fermentation for Special Small Molecules
- Fermentation Process Optimization
- Fermentation CDMO Service
- Capabilities & Facilities
- GRAS Services
- Environment, Health & Safety